Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Get Loved at McCarren Pool this month

Usually when someone writes about an upcoming show, it's because of the killer headliner (see three posts down...). And it's not that I don't dig The Hold Steady, they're a solid band. But this is all about The Loved Ones. They first caught my attention in the summer of 06 while I was in Baltimore with my old band recording an album with Brian McTernan, who recorded their first EP and LP. They stopped by the studio while coming through town on tour and were really killer guys. So I checked their tunes out and was super into it. It was that solid, catchy punk rock that while many bands do well, they just do much better. Gritty yet melodic vocals, hook laden guitars and driving drum beats. Nothing outrageous, just something concrete and excellently executed. Their second LP "Build And Burn" brought more of a pop and at times folky element to the songwriting and they really started to shine through with their full potential without sacrificing anything fans of the first two records loved about them. So why did I mention The Hold Steady at first? Oh yeah. Well, The Loved Ones will be opening for them at McCarren Park Pool on June 29th. Like I said, it's not that I don't dig The Hold Steady. I just think The Loved Ones are far better. There will also be a special song performed during The Loved Ones' set. What is it? Well, you'll just have to go to the show (hint: Chuck will be proud!). Details are below.

JellyNYC Presents:
The Hold Steady
The Loved Ones
J Roddy & The Business
Sun June 29 at 2pm
McCarren Park Pool
780 Lorimer St.
Brooklyn, NY 11222

L train to Bedford Ave or Lorimer St.
G train to Nassau Ave or Metropolitan Ave
also accessible from B61, B48 and B43 bus lines.

No comments: