Monday, February 18, 2008

Please, make this forever...

The poor little G train. Often subject of ridicule and butt end of many jokes by NYC straphangers. He's the little engine that couldn't but damnit really wants to. Personally I love it. It runs very close to my apartment, it goes places I like going to (for the most part), and I don't ride during rush hours so I never have to deal with cramming into one it's four cars (average NYC subway train is 8-11 cars long). I don't mind having to do the G train sprint every now and then, I really don't.
The G train normally terminates at the Smith/9th St. station in Red Hook (by now it's been sharing track with the F train, which continues to Coney Island after here). This was frustrating when I lived on 4th ave in Greenwood Heights because if the G would have gone ONE more stop to 4th Ave it would have made getting to Ft. Greene, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Long Island City, ect so much easier. And now living in Ft. Greene it would make returning to the Park Slope/Greenwood Heights area such an easy thing.
This weekend til early Tuesday morning (as well as Feb 23-25 and Mar 1-3) there is some major changes to subway service in Brooklyn. No C trains will be running, F trains will be rerouted over the C line btw Jay St and Euclid Ave, and the G train will continue past Smith/9th St all the way to Coney Island. Which means... G service to Park Slope! I even rode a G train with 6 cars on it the other night, it was weeeeird man. This must be taken full advantage of. So many diners, bars, restaurants, record stores and more that I've missed from that neighborhood will be visited in these time frames allotted. There's constant talk of the G extending to Church Ave soon, but no dates are ever given. Come on now MTA, I've written you about this in the past. It'll be make many people happy riders.

No comments: